Saturday, August 17, 2013

Figuring It Out

*This is an old one that I forgot to publish. I'll get caught up I promise.

7/24-7/31
After a week like 7/10-7/17, I was a little bit nervous about going back out and my ability to be an effective trailwalker. I know I can hike and take care of the YWs but I want to help them Walk Forward spiritually; I just didn’t feel like I did that last week and I wasn’t so sure I would be able to do that. Especially when I saw that I would be walking with one of the same TWs as last time. I like her and all, but we just didn’t click. And the other TW was someone from the other rotation that I didn’t know and didn’t know if I should be excited to walk with him or not.

I was excited to be with a new group this time – Sinagua! (18+) As we drove to the trail I kept questioning if I should be going out or not, but I knew I was needed and that I was where I was supposed to be. By the time I got to the band though I was feeling better. We started the week with two Sinagua Walkers a guy about 24 (who was on his last week) and a girl who is 19. Then we got a new friend when one of the boys turned 18 and stepped into our band from Boys’ Band, and on Friday we got another friend when a new guy (20) joined the program and came right to our band for RabbitStick.

Despite the fact that Sinagua hike REALLY fast (my short legs struggled to keep up) it was a great week! Everyone had an LDS background (although some don’t really want to go back to that), but it was nice being able to use the LDS language and discuss things on that level. I love the Anasazi language of spirituality, but there’s something even more powerful about straight LDS doctrine, so when you’re able to use that in the band it’s glorious! I had some really good sittings with several of the SWs and I grew a lot from the things we discussed. I grew especially close to the girl in the band. She has made some backwards walking choices and has consequently had a really rough life these last couple years. But, tapping into my missionary mode, I was able to testify of powerful truths and help her feel the strength of the Spirit again. “Can you just bottle up this feeling so I can have it again later when things get harder?” She has a rough road ahead of her, but I know the Lord is strengthening her to handle it well.

My greatest awakening this week came from a verse that I have read a thousand times. Ether 12:6 - "Faith is things which are hoped for and not seen." I often find myself thinking, I'll do X as long as I can see that it's doing some good. I'll put forth my best efforts as long as I know they are making a difference. But that's not faith. That's asking for a sign from God (bad idea). This week I learned that faith means you won't see it. You won't see the outcome, you won't have evidence that it's working. You just have to trust in God and find comfort in the fact that he's in charge. Do I worry about the Singagua and YoungWalkers I've walked with? Of course, but I know - deep down - that the Lord loves them more than I ever could and that he will not give up on them.

No comments: