Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Wait, This Isn't Normal??

Growing up in the Jenkins house generally involved lots of noise, bouncing off the walls (literally; that was Brett's and my job), and music. Due to the fact that random outbursts of song from any number of members (awkward harmonization included) and dancing around the kitchen were the norm, we would often joke that our life was a musical.

However, a funny realization came to me the other day. As much as we would love to think that our singing and dancing was beautiful and looked well choreographed, the truth is we had really good imaginations. In fact, to call it a musical seems a bit unfair to the actual Idina Menzel's and Heather Headley's of the stage.

When a series of emails passed between me and my brother started with "(this song) reminds me of life right now" I discovered the truth of my childhood. My life isn't a musical, it's a soundtrack! I have theme songs for various eras and events in my life. And based on the growing number of playlists in my Spotify I think I have a problem. But for those of you who haven't experienced it, there's a beautiful satisfaction that comes from finding the perfect song to describe your situation or feelings!

No comments: