Thursday, May 22, 2014

What do I really want?

In my time on the trail I have had the opportunity of seeing many YoungWalkers in their first days on the trail. It's interesting their attitudes as they begin their walking. Many of them did not seek this experience, and they spend most of their time anticipating the how wonderful things will be when they return home and can enjoy all the foods they craved on the trail.

Occasionally, however, you get that one YoungWalker. They don't want to change, but they want to want it. You can see it in their eyes and feel it from their hearts. They aren't ready to let go of the things that are holding them back, but they are beginning to see what their future could look like and their hearts begin to turn toward the light.

Pondering on this process in YoungWalkers has led me to wonder where I am in the process. Do I want goodness, or do I simply want to want it?

Sure, I've had those moments after General Conference, or when I got home from my mission, when my desires were right in line with the people of King Mosiah when they said: "The Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent, which has wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually."

But on a day to day basis, what do I really want? What are the sincere desires of my heart?


No comments: